By Small and Simple Things are GREAT Things Brought to Pass

Saturday, September 27, 2014

Note to Self: Booty is Booty

Body image is something that I believe everyone questions at least once in their lifetime.  For me, I am constantly reminded of how small I am.  Things like, “Dang girl you small.”  “Are you 15?”  “What pant size you wear?”  “You anorexic?” or my recently new nickname, “Skinny A**.”  Now I know that I am 5’ 1”, and weigh almost 100 lbs, but really people?  I mean I don’t mind random comments about my size, but once respectfulness or dignity are taken from the conversation, then it becomes bothersome. 

The reason I am writing about this is because of the recent attention and comments about my body, and also a new pop song that is rather popular now and days.  I’m sure you’ve heard it by the ever famous Meaghan Trainor.  Her song All About that Bass talks very specifically about a woman’s body, and what she thinks guys want in a woman’s size.  The first time I heard this song I thought it was a good song with a catchy tune, but on a second listen my self-image shrunk.  It was only telling me half-truths. 

Let me explain.  Verse in the song state that, “I’ve got all the right junk in all the right places.” And “Boys like a little more booty to hold at night.”  Now I’m not gonna lie, but I wasn’t blessed with a “booty” or boobs, in fact I told myself I would have my husband buy me a breast augmentation for my 30th birthday…don’t worry, it’s not gonna happen.  But feeling my self-image drop because of a song that dogged on my size made me think about all the other flaws that I had.  Things like, oh geez I’m not fat enough, or look at the acne on my face.  I’m selfish.  I’m not funny, and lots of other things that made me feel like a worthless person. 

However, once I snapped my fingers, and came back to reality I knew that I was just the way God intended for me to look.  I think that with all the bickering between who’s fat and who’s skinny, we lose sight of who we truly are, and become obsessed with a look rather than choosing to love ourselves.  Yes, I think that we have to choose to love ourselves, otherwise we spend hours, and tons of dollars trying to “fix” our flaws.  So the next time you are looking in the mirror at yourself, consider this:

First: You are beautiful.  No matter how fat or skinny you may be, you are and always will be                 beautiful. 

Second: Are you healthy?  I think that ignorance gets in the way of our health sometimes, and we choose to gorge ourselves on food, or purge it because we think it’s okay.  But it’s not!  A healthy lifestyle should be lived, so take care of the bodies we were entrusted with. 

Third: Be happy.  Who cares if you are size 9, or a size 0.  If you are healthy, then who cares what pant size you wear.  I know that some guys like big butts like Meaghan Trainor sings about in her song, but some don’t.  I know that there is someone out there for everyone, it’s just being patient and making sure you find the right one.  In the meantime, be confident in the skin you are wearing. 


So don’t let your self-worth be determined by a number on a scale.  And whether you got a lot of it, or just a little bit, remember booty is booty.  

*This is a Burger King commercial from a few years ago that I remembered, and thought it fit the post...I couldn't help but quote it!

No comments:

Post a Comment